The opening day of the Greywater motorcycle grand prix is in doubt after forecasters warned of up to 60 millimeters of rain in the mountains on Friday, raising the prospect that first practice could be canceled outright.
Race director Paolo Venn said track staff would inspect the Greywater Ring early on Friday morning. Several sections of the circuit, especially the downhill braking zone into the final hairpin, are known to collect standing water when heavy showers roll in from the valley.
Riding in the wet is part of this sport. Riding through rivers is not. If we cannot clear the water, we will not send the riders out.
Paolo Venn, race director
What could change
If Friday is lost, organizers plan to extend Saturday’s morning session and run qualifying in the afternoon as scheduled. Sunday’s race, due to start at 2 p.m., is not currently at risk, with forecasts pointing to drier but cold conditions by the weekend.
The circuit was partly resurfaced over the winter, with new drainage channels added along the main straight. This weekend will be the first real test of that work in heavy rain.
Title fight on a knife edge
The weather could hardly come at a worse time for the championship leaders. Kai Ostrander of Vortex Racing arrives with a 12-point lead over Dario Lucchesi, with four rounds remaining. Ostrander has struggled in the wet this season, finishing outside the top five in both rain-hit races.
Less dry track time hurts everyone, but it hurts the guy who needs to find a setup more. We’ll take whatever we get.
Dario Lucchesi, second in the championship
Teams have brought extra sets of rain tires, and several mechanics said they would prepare two setups for each bike so riders can switch quickly if conditions change between sessions.
Fans with Friday tickets will be able to use them on Saturday if practice is called off, organizers said. A final decision on the opening session is expected by 8 a.m. on race day.

Comments 0